Saturday, February 5, 2011

Garcinia Cambogia also known as Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA)

What Is Garcinia Cambogia?

Also known as Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA)..

Garcinia cambogiais a small fruit that resembles a miniature pumpkin. It is indigenous to India and parts of Asia, and an extract from its fruit and rind is popular in many natural weight loss products. The extract is hydroxycitric acid (HCA), claimed to suppress appetite and enhance fat-burning. This fruit (also called Malabar tamarind) is used as a condiment in dishes such as curry.

The theory behind garcinia cambogia is that HCA inhibits an enzyme called citrate lyase that helps turns excess carbohydrates into fat. By inhibiting this enzyme, it is believed the body instead boosts carbohydrate oxidation, or simply put, burns the extra carbs.

Garcinia cambogia reportedly does not have any known adverse effects in healthy adults, but there are some people who are advised not to take it. According to experts, this includes children, pregnant and lactating women, those diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, and people with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia disease. In the case of Alzheimer’s patients, it is thought HCA might form acetylcholine in the brain, while diabetics could be affected by HCA’s tendency to lower blood sugar. Conversely, in healthy adults this latter effect can purportedly curb cravings for sweets and carbohydrates.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not regulate garcinia cambogia. People who are considering augmenting a healthy diet and exercise regimen with herbal aids like HCA should see their physicians for personalized advice.

Testimonial ....

1. I took this and a got explosive diarrhea.

2. I take it for two or three days and I have headaches after every administration. I get up in the morning with a headache, I take an analgesic, it passes away and after the next administration the headache appears again, and so on. I have read somewhere that there are reports of toxicity in the liver. I plan to take the pills maximum one or two days and if the headaches won't disappear..

3. I took this for a month. And now I am having muscle cramps, headaches.

4. Supplements are not regulated by the FDA or any other agency. The manufacturers don't have to prove that they are safe or effective before they sell them.

5. the first time I took it, it felt really good, it energized me and I lose my appetite. Though I had a headache and I feel like vomiting sometimes. Is this ok? I also have a lot of allergies.

6. I have had nine month of stomach problems, enlarged pancreas, etc. after taking this. Do not take it! It is dangerous! I am otherwise very healthy- still having stomach issues.

7. I lost weight with tenuate and garcinia cambogia and I now have problems in my heart beat and heart valves.

8. I am more concerned with the thought that HCA might form acetylcholine in the brain which can cause paralysis and muscle spams. This has been more of the side effects I encountered.


Conclusion...

- Anyone with history having Heart-problem, Brain-problem (Alzheimer’s disease, Migrain, etc..), Diabetics.

- Probably the reason it isn't recommended for diabetics for reasons of lowering blood sugar is that many people regulate their level with metformin (Glucophage) or insulin. If they've already taken their dose and this further lowers their blood sugar level, there is the possibility that they could go into diabetic shock or coma. Although I doubt that could happen, I'm sure that the companies that produce this supplement just want to cover their bases.

- Some over-enthusiastic patients who took it in excess found some side effects like diarrhea or some laxative effect, vomiting and abdominal pain.


References...

* http://www.holistic-herbalist.com/garcinia-cambogia-side-effects.html
* http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-garcinia-cambogia.htm
* http://www.zhion.com/herb/Garcinia.html

Note : THIS ARTICLE IS FOR YOUR REFERENCE ONLY. CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR FOR ANY QUESTIONS.